As people, we naturally have incredible creative potential. Experiencing, enjoying and participating in creative activities are important to our well-being. Creative moments activate the brain's reward centers and make us feel a wave of happiness. These creative moments look different for all of us and some may be hard to do right now. Partaking in the creative activities and virtual events on this page encourages your creative thinking abilities and may spark something amazing.
Reaping the rewards of creativity doesn't have to be an active process. Relax and appreciate these virtual creative experiences.
- NPR Music concert list: Tune in to a live performance on a free platform, like Facebook, Instagram or YouTube. NPR updates this list frequently, so check back for your favorite artist or discover someone new.
- Tiny Desk Concerts: Explore this collection of intimate video performances recorded live at the iconic NPR desk or from home in the Tiny Desk quarantine series.
- Cactus Cafe at Home: Enjoy eight pop-up sessions from the front yards, backyards and studios of some of the Austin artists who make the Cactus Cafe such a special place, from KUTX and Cactus Cafe.
Attend a Fashion Show
- UT Fashion Show: The UT Fashion Show, an annual event featuring 140 original designs from textiles and apparel majors, was unable to be held in person this year, so students and faculty of the Textiles and Apparel Program and the School of Human Ecology created a virtual showcase of designs and completed works.
Visit a Museum
- Stimulate your creativity with digital resources and exhibits from some of the world's most notable museums.
- Blanton Museum of Art, UT Austin
- The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago
- The British Museum, London
- High Museum of Art, Atlanta
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
- The Louvre, Paris
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
- Museu de Arte de São Paulo Assis Chateaubriand, São Paulo
- Find more virtual museum tours here
Hear from the Artists Themselves
- Artist Interviews: Enjoy this series from the Blanton Museum of Art featuring creatives talking about their work.
Spark your creative potential with these activities. Grow creatively by finding new ways to express yourself or dedicate time to something you already enjoy.
Solve a Puzzle
- The Jigsaw Puzzles: Piece together a virtual puzzle on this free website. Choose artwork from several different categories and decide how many pieces you want the puzzle to be.
- Web Sudoku: Use your logic skills and creative reasoning in this virtual Sudoku game. Select your level of difficulty, choose to be timed (or not) and decide if you want hints along the way.
- Word search: Choose a game from a variety of categories or create your own on this free site.
- Crossword puzzles: Solve free online puzzles and experience creative moments with each correct answer or completed puzzle. There are 40,000 free crosswords to choose from.
- Access the Blanton Museum of Art with #MuseumFromHome to:
- Create art-at-home pieces with the #ArtWhereYouAre Studio.
- #ColorTheBlanton art pages from the prints and drawings collection.
- Deepen your understanding with Art Primers, and more!
- Craftideas.info: Search over 1,400 free craft projects and templates to see what sparks your creativity. Select a craft, source the supplies and see what you can create.
Stay in (or Outside) the Lines
- Coloring pages: Color virtually with the liberty to draw freely or print the free images on this website and choose your coloring medium.
- Click to color: Stay inside the lines of these geometric images with an easy mouse click. Download your finished picture or print an outline for more creative freedom.
Dance It Out
- Learn to dance: Take online dancing lessons with these free HD videos. They have video tutorials in multiple styles.
Virtual Creativity Events
Explore your creativity with the virtual events below while connecting with your fellow Longhorns. Most events are free, and all are open to UT Austin students. Click on the event links below to learn more about the next seven days' events.
Is your virtual UT event open to students from all colleges and schools? Submit it here.
- Campus Events + Entertainment’s MACC presents Spanish Conversation Hour! Come practice your Spanish with fluent Spanish Speakers. We will be discussing a different topic and have questions to ask. However, the conversation can shift to accommodate anyone’s level of understanding or if there are specific topics people would like to discuss. RSVP: bit.ly/MACCSCHRSVP Zoom Link: bit.ly/MACCSCH
- September 22, 2020, 7:00 pm
- Come and enjoy a free screening of Boys State with Campus Events + Entertainment Showtime on September 24th @6pm in partnership with Sundance. This viewing will include a virtual film screening and panel with A24. Please note that the movie will be streamed via the Sundance Now app. More information on how to RSVP for the film and tune in to the panel will be coming soon, so check back regularly for updates. Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, & Snapchat @utexascee, and don’t forget to ‘like’ us on Facebook for more updates about our upcoming events! Want to know more about Showtime? Follow @utshowtime on Instagram, and come to our meetings on Mondays @5pm on Zoom (935 2937 9453)! ----- A thousand 17-year-old boys from Texas join together to build a representative government from the ground up. Runtime: 1 hour and 49 minutes
- September 24, 2020, 6:00 pm